Monday 28 July 2014

A little at the club gaming - Flames of War

Howdy folks,

Yup...the summer is going by way to fast! I'm sure we can all agree on that...however, I have not been solely enjoying the summer sans painting and gaming.  I have been putting brush to mini and was able to get some gaming in the other day at our local club, Ottawa Miniature Gamers (OMG).

However, as the week had been particularly busy at work, I took the easy way out and put together a VERY quick list that took all of 23.7 seconds of thought.  I didn't want to introduce anything that I had not already painted up...I kinda wanted to get some minis on the table that I had not used before, but most important...I wanted something that I could grab from the collection in mere minutes.

Needless to say, all requirements were met...and I have to give kudos to my opponent, he was very gracious in allowing a very cheesy list.  As it turned out we had more German players than Allied so my opponent and I were engaged in a 'when doves cry'/post-Valkyrie type scenario.  He came to the table with an armoured company with Stugs, PzIVs, a couple of Panthers, scouts in Kubelwagons, and PzGren platoon in halftracks...very nice all around list with some good punch from the vehicles and scads of panzerfaust assaulters...

However, CHEESE was on my side...in my haste to fulfilling my core requirements I went with an armoured company with KingTiger HQ, 1 KingTiger platoon (of one tank), and a Tiger platoon (of four Tiger 1Es), and sporadic air support (bring on the Stuka's).

Yes...I did win the fight...yes, I thought it was very close at times...it did really come down to the luck of the dice.  Afterall, with 2 platoons of panzerfaust goodness, my opponent was unable to destroy any of my tanks...and he was able to approach from cover allowing him to sneak in real close.  I gambled that I could withstand the assaults and chose to ignore his advancing infantry instead focusing on the vehicles in front of me...we had a great game, and I was very happy to get some minis on the table that I had done as 'interest only'.

I left my camera at home, but managed to take some crappy IPhone pics.  Enjoy and take care.

 
Company commander

 
Platoon held in reserve...came on late in the game



The boss - looking at some burning hulls...
 
 
Tiger platoon with one destroyed on the objective, burning halftracks in the distance and Stugs coming in hard and fast...

 
one round later...6 x main gun shots...no more Stugs
Cheers.


No comments: