Friday 26 May 2017

Cangames 2017 - Frostgrave

Howdy folks,

Following up on my previous Cangames post:

Cangames - Random Tables

I wanted to share with you some pics of the games that I had a chance to play in...each year there are a few staples that I try to partake in...but this year, it was a tough choice...there were some really great games that I had seen from years past and hadn't had the opportunity to take part in...so, my main goal this Cangames was to try out a few new games/eras/rulesets.

Ironically, my first gaming evening...I chose Frostgrave, not exactly a new venture for me...but for me was a logical choice as I haven't had the chance to get to Felstad this year and I really like the ruleset.

One of the OMG gents ran the game this year...a motley collection of Warbands with the task of venturing into a section of town and retrieve whatever gold we could.  We were paired up with battle buddies and given a section of the table to start from.  If you looked at my buddy Terry's blogpost already you will have seen some of his view of our Frostgrave adventure.

Initial setup...all bands around the edge of the table looking into centre well...each player places one piece of treasure...there are also a half dozen other treasure drops to fight over.

My enchanter warband prepares to set-out...you can see one of Terry's thug immediately to my right

We push forward...my wizard keeping back and to the left, keeping overwatch a thug and crossbowman...my apprentice, another thug, and a man of arms are to my back and right not yet activated...outside the frame of the pic...

Terry's Wizard activates a few of his troops and moves forward and to my right...

I've got cultists to my left...damn...

and they quickly summon an imp to piss me off...

...cultists pushing towards centre...hugging the cover of the church...ironically...

the cultist Wizard and Apprentice seek cover and throw some harassing spells my way...

my Apprentice and troops near him push forward and to my right, just in time to have a trio of skeletons spill out of a house and get LOS on them...damn...the imp is still in action...

I take out a skeleton...hurray...short-lived as one of my thugs goes down hard...RIP Thug

my right flank...Terry is pushing further right and squares off against another warband...

the cultists keep pressure on my left and main...they also push some troops to a few treasure drops...

another soldier down!! these skeletons are relentless...and I am rolling like hell!

FINALLY!!! my crossbowman gets a shot off against his cultist counterpart and splits his skull with a well placed arrow...until this point I had been rolling very well for spellcasting but could not follow-up with my attack spells...

the cultists are now dealing with some undead interlopers...about time, lol...

my Apprentice pushes forward to get some distance from the skeletons to offer support and spell casting...and hey, this situation totally calls for another DAMNED imp...

my wounded man-of-arms pushes back and gets his imp bashing gloves on...goodbye imp!!

...as the skeletons deflect some spell casting and arrows...and swarm my Apprentice...RIP Apprentice...

similarly on the right...the bodies pile up...oh, and that DAMNED DAMNED imp is back...

ah yes...the tactical situation continues to deteriorate...RIP Man-of-arms...

...and those skeletons are unstoppable!! They are tear-assing their way through my warband! My Wizard...having been wounded near death...and then healed...and then wounded tries to find some semblance of cover...

...ah SOD THIS!!! Wizard out!

a picture of the carnage around the most cursed treasure drop in the square...imps, thugs, Wizards, and skeletons all died gloriously trying to get this piece...

4 comments:

Mike_A said...

Hah looks like fun, thats just the way she goes sometimes!

Stan M. said...

It was a good go...definitely made me miss playing the game. I'll have to convince you to run some Wednesday night runs to Felstad...

Mike_A said...

Can do that for sure

Stan M. said...

that'd be great...I'll see what my schedule allows...