Saturday 10 February 2018

Sharper Claws for the Bear - Team Yankee Support

Howdy everyone,

Playing some Team Yankee at the end of the year gave me some motivation to get back to some models that I had on the workbench and get them painted up proper for the field.  I had a chance to field a couple of ZSU-23-4's for air defense for my Soviet Motor Rifle Battalion and thought it only proper to get a couple more and paint them all up together.

US vs Soviet and East German hordes

The ZSU's were pretty easy to put together...the bulk of the model is resin and metal like most old school Battlefront models...so just the normal process of sanding and filing...but it came up pretty quickly so I was happy with that.

Based on feedback I received previously and wanting to keep trying some alternate paint schemes I elected to go with a lighter...limier (??) green than what I used for my BMPs and T72s...I ended up with a very similar scheme to that of my BRDMs...

Support for the Bear

 
I like the pop of the green a little more than I thought I would the first time I tried this...I kind of wish I had adopted this for my main force...but oh well...it's here now and I'm pretty good with it.  So, this is the scheme I went with for my ZSU's.  Makes them easier to spot on the table amongst my rabble of Russian metal...so that's a bonus.
 
As far as vehicles go, the ZSU is definitely one of my favourite Cold War era vehicles.  It matches an impressive rate of fire with a high degree of mobility that puts it near the edge of the action.  I don't recall seeing any examples in movies until the original Red Dawn movie...and if I remember correctly, that vehicle was modified from the chassis of an M60 tank.  And then in Flight of the Intruder it played a very critical role in setting the scene for the final sequence of the movie...Willem Dafoe, tiger striped flight suit..."come on Sandy you'd do it for me"...
 
I digress...anyhow, here are the pics...I hope you enjoy them, feel free to pass on some advice or constructive criticism...
 
After seeing a wide range of examples on google search, I settled on a colour for the radar dish cover and intentionally chose khaki for one so that I could easily pick out the unit commander during game play...
 
 

Lead Mountain Progress - Expedition 2018

Painted - 7

Purchased - 0

Progress - +7 

 


4 comments:

Phil said...

Nice looking support team!

Stan M. said...

Thanks Phil

Greg B said...

Great work! Those poor BRDMs, they will get lit up...

Stan M. said...

Thanks Greg, hopefully they'll leave behind a great looking corpse, lol.